I am happy with my time at the Runners on Parade 5K considering my ailments last week. I pushed myself for what I thought was a decent time but didn’t push for a personal record (PR). I ended up actually finishing the race with one of my co-workers. That was kinda cool to cross the finish line at the same time and give each other a high five!
This year I was able to take in a lot more of the sights and sounds of the Runners on Parade 5K in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was cool to listen to hundreds of feet slapping the pavement as the race began. Locals lined the streets to cheer us on (although they were there early to hawk good seats for the parade that follows the run). About half the course was shaded/half sun. The shade was so nice. If it had all been shade I think everyone would have PRed.
Official Time: 30:25*
Age Group (25-29): 32/53
*This race was a shotgun start and chip finish
- Nice job on water stops. One at Mile 1 and one at Mile 2. I was able to drink and run this time. And there are great light up signs with your times at the mile markers too.
- I really like the course of this race being downtown, and mostly flat.
- Great race for atmosphere. Not as many runners as last year but it’s still a big one.
- Improved my age group finish by about 8 places. Also improved my race time by almost three minutes.
- I’m still not a fan of the whole shotgun start and chip finish. I tried to get close to the front of the pack when the race started so I wouldn’t lose seconds, but I also was afraid to get trampled by all the pros who run this race.
- This year’s race shirts were cotton. My husband picked up our shirts and said a lot of participants were not happy. Last year I received a Mizuno moisture wick tank top. I wore it this year to race in.
- Nearly got sick at the end of the Runners on Parade 5K race. I was fine at first and then about 10 minutes after I finished running I was not feeling well. The husband told me to breath and sit down, which I did. He was not feeling good either. It really wasn’t that hot out and we were in the shade cooling down. The only thing I can point to was the post-race water was a little warm this year.