Valentine’s Day is coming up. Often thought of as a day for lovers, in order to have a Happy Valentine’s Day many believe fresh roses and chocolate candies must be purchased and gifted. Today I’m sharing some out-of-the-box Valentine’s Day gift ideas and these gifts can be given to anyone who you consider to be a Valentine, from a significant other, to a child, a friend or others.
Since having our daughter, Valentines’ Day takes on new meaning. Now I have both my husband and my daughter as my Valentines. Prior to being married I used to celebrate Valentine’s Day with my single friends. And even now as a married woman it’s fun to still have a Galentine’s Day celebration with girlfriends.
Happy Valentine’s Day
Show Appreciation for a Happy Valentine’s Day
I have written before about the importance of self-care, but on Valentine’s Day, there is another area of importance to consider. The importance of others in your life and showing them just a little bit of appreciation or thoughtfulness.
Maybe this is called “others-care”? In any event, while we need to be at our best and care for ourselves, it’s also important to focus our attention on others as well. Valentine’s Day provides the perfect opportunity to show appreciation for others.
This post contains ideas for gifts that can be given to almost anyone. Oftentimes, Valentine’s Day is looked at as a romantic holiday between significant others. However, your Valentine can be a girlfriend, your child, a nice or nephew, a grandparent, a person in need, or many others. Think about the people in your life and who could be best served by a thoughtful gift or sentiment.
Happy Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
After identifying person(s) who are your Valentine, consider the following gift ideas. To have a Happy Valentine’s Day there simply needs to be love and care for another person. Don’t rely on extravagant gifts or complicated trips. Enjoy your loved ones and give them a small token of that appreciation you have for them.
1) Adorable Snoopy Fleece Throw: This adorable throw is perfect for a significant other, children or a girlfriend. Not only does it have adorable snoopy on it, but it is super soft and cozy. The throw measures 50 inches by 60 inches and is affordable too. What’s not to love about The Peanuts gang and Snoopy? The fleece throw features color including red, white and black and is made from 100 percent polyester
2) Coupons to Redeem Later: Another fun DIY gift idea is a coupon book. These can be made for a signifiant other, children, an elderly neighbor and so on. For a significant other it may include a romantic dinner out, an evening snuggled up watching a movie on the couch, or a day date to go golfing.
For children the book can include mommy and me activities, a trip to the library, going swimming in the summer or checking out a new playground. My favorite idea is a book for an elderly person, grandparent, or someone in need. It could include buying their groceries for the week, shoveling their snow in the winter or helping pull weeds in the spring.
3) Fresh Rose Bush: Instead of buying roses one time, give a gift that will last many years. Order a rose bush! I actually grow long-stem roses, the same kind you buy at the store, and it’s so nice to cut them in my yard and bring them inside. If you aren’t sure what plant to buy, you can uniquely package the idea and agree to purchase a plant together with your loved one.
If long-stem roses are not appealing, there as also bush roses such as the easy-to-grow knockout roses and even miniature roses. A nice accompanying gift for the plant is the book Rosehips on a Kitchen Table, which includes recipes using a rose bush.
4) Thoughtful Card & Handwritten Message: Let’s not forget the importance of handwritten words. In today’s age everything is moving so quickly. The digital presence in our lives is almost suffocating and often-times people do not even send mail or cards anymore. I have written before about the importance of putting pen to paper.
This gift includes buying a thoughtful card but then more time is spent writing a message in the card. Think of things you are thankful for, why you care for this person or words of encouragement. Add some flair to the card by using colorful pens or stickers.
5) An Experiential Gift: I’m a big fan of experience gifts. The experience can be whatever your loved one would enjoy. It could be a personal full body massage, or a massage tool, a class pack for the local yoga studio, or maybe a race entry to a fun road race! Think outside the box on this one.
The experience gift could be purchased in a gift certificate form or simply written in a card as an experience to redeem in the near future. If you want to be more practical, the gift could be something like a food subscription service.
Happy Valentine’s Day
I hope these Happy Valentine’s Day gift ideas are helpful. Many of these gifts can easily be purchased today or used as ideas for next year. Let’s not forget the meaning of this day or the importance of showing our love and care for others. Gifts are a small token of that appreciation. They need not be expensive or extravagant. In fact, I would argue to say the thoughtful gift is most giving.
Who is on your Valentine list this year?
*This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated and republished for accuracy and comprehensiveness.